Google Wave

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Oct 9 20:19:28 MST 2009

On Fri, 2009-10-09 at 19:52 -0700, Charles Jones wrote:
> I've watched the long demo video, and over the shoulder of a few friends
> that have it. Honestly I am not impressed. One of the most ooh-ahh features
> is the "realtime email/collaboration"...Oh look you can see someone type
> char by char as they reply! Maybe I don't want someone to see my typing
> "You're an assh*ole^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hinconsiderate person." True you can turn
> the char-by-char option off, but still it just doesn't wow me, neither does
> embedding a "wave" into a website and most of the other things the fanboys
> were gushing over, like "look, you can drag and drop pictures into a
> post...oh wait you have to have google gears installed to do that".
----
the gears thing notwithstanding, it's clearly a technology that will
elevate computer users - I mean who understood the potentials of google
maps when it first came out...now, who actually still uses any other map
source? Once I saw applications with embedded geo-queries using google
map API's, I began to comprehend the value.

if you are content to sit back and wait for Microsoft to steal concepts
and deliver them as expensive, bloated, proprietary technologies that's
fine but I think that this goes way beyond the simple real time e-mail
collaboration into something that could really be extendable. The demo
itself showed things that you can sort of already do, admittedly in
disparate applications and blending them into one technology by itself
doesn't seem earth shattering but it does offer a framework upon which
people can build.

That said, I am sort of pumped with the idea that some real Android
choices are going to hit many of the carriers including Verizon.

Craig

believed to be clean.