"xine was unable to initialize any audio drivers"

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Wed Oct 7 13:33:09 MST 2009

From: Wayne Davis <waydavis.phx.lists at gmail.com>
>>> Kubuntu 8.04.2
>>> This happens fairly frequently and the only thing (I) know to do
>>> is a reboot. Is there a way to re-init the sound system without
>>> rebooting? Any idea WHY this is happening?
> Pulseaudio is not in use on this system.
> I wonder if "alsa resume" is what i'm after?

Kubuntu implies KDE.  If KDE's sound server timeout is set too high,
it's possible that it could hog the ALSA devices.  I set the timeout
on KDE's sound server to 30 seconds, but I don't even have any KDE
sound events configured.  (Computers should be quiet unless they're
playing music, movies, or games....)

Are there any common elements to when xine stops working?  After the
machine's been through a suspend-to-RAM/resume cycle, or something
like that?

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows