udev renames ethernet interfaces?

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Sat Oct 3 15:07:19 MST 2009

After a long battle with technology, Dazed_75 wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 3, 2009 at 2:36 PM, Alex Dean <alex at crackpot.org> wrote:
>> On Oct 4, 2009, at 3:28 AM, Dazed_75 wrote:
>>> ifserver kernel: [    9.611230] udev: renamed network interface eth0 to
>>> eth1
>>>I assume that it was originally known as eth0.  But when a PCI ethernet
>>>card was added, I was surprised to see it listed as eth0 and the
>>>motherboard as eth1.
>> If you're doing your configuration via /etc/network/interfaces, you can
>> add a 'hwaddress' stanza in the configuration for either a 'static' or
>> 'dhcp' interface.  I think you should be able to use that to control
>> which device becomes eth0, eth1, etc.
> NetworkManager is running and I am not touching /etc/network/interfaces.

Check your /etc/udev/rules.d/ for a file matching *persistent* and containing
lines sort of like so:

# PCI device 0x10de:0x0057 (forcedeth)
SUBSYSTEM=="net", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}=="00:e0:81:55:8f:66",
KERNEL=="eth*", NAME="eth3"

...I only have 2 NICs in this box, but because I moved motherboards a couple
of times without reinstalling anything, the onboard NIC here is now known as
eth3.  Changing it back to eth1 would be relatively easy.
--
   Yesterday upon the stair, I met a man who wasn't there.
   He wasn't there again today -- I think he's from the CIA.