SATA drive problem

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Oct 1 14:01:50 MST 2009

On Thu, 2009-10-01 at 10:09 -0700, Mark Jarvis wrote:

> Since the IDs for the three disks were sda, sdb, and sdc before I
> added the SATA drive, Ubuntu apparently implements all HD drivers as
> part of the SCSI code tree. It made sense that channel 0 master was
> sda, channel 0 slave was sdb, and channel 1 master was sdc. What
> doesn't make sense to me is that the SATA drive--channel 2
> master--became sda. I would have expected sdd or sde or something like
> that.
>
> Where can I find info on tweaking Ubuntu's HD recognition?
----
the truth is that the world has moved on and no longer uses BIOS
dependent drive recognition like /dev/sda in order to alleviate the
problems that you are experiencing.

References to the BIOS dependent handles such as /dev/sda1 in fstab and
grub should have been replaced by the UUID which is certainly unique for
every partition and can easily be discovered by running the command
'blkid' (no sudo/su required)

Craig

believed to be clean.