OT: How to convert an open office cell HH:MM to a numeric value?

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Sun Nov 29 15:13:05 MST 2009

On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 2:09 PM, Josef Lowder <joe at actionline.com> wrote:

> How can I convert an open office cell containing a time value (HH:MM) to a
> numeric value?
>
> I've searched the 'net for a couple hours and can't find an answer.
>
> The hours worked was easy =B1-A1 but multiplying that result times a pay
> rate of $12 doesn't work.
>
> Here is the formula that will convert the time formatted as HH:MM AM/PM to
a decimal number.

=(A2-INT(A2))*24

So if you have 7:30 AM in cell A2 the result of this formula will be 7.5

You can apply the same formula to the 2:00 PM cell.

Assuming that cell is A3 the formula would be

=(A3-INT(A3))*24

This formula will yield 14

Now you can subtract the one result 7.5 from the second result 14 and the
answer will be 6.5  You can then multiply this by your hourly rate.

Of course this can all be put into one formula:

-((A2-INT(A2))*24)+((A3-INT(A3))*24)*12

The 12 being the rate per hour.

Hope this helps

--