Two Questions

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Fri Nov 27 07:03:40 MST 2009

On 11/26/09, Mark Jarvis <m.jarvis at cox.net> wrote:

> 1) My daughter left her SanDisk iPod-type mp3 player plugged into a USB port
> on my machine. When I tried to boot, the machine would not even do a normal
> memory check and stopped short. Multiple times. When I finally noticed the
> dern mp3 player and unplugged it, everything was fine. On occasion I have
> also seen that a plugged in flash drive has messed up the boot. Just
> curious--why would this happen?
The boot bios on the machine is configured to attempt to boot from USB.

> 2) A friend has a Canon Pixma IP 1500 printer that he's trying to get
> working on his Ubuntu 9.04 installation. Although the IP 2000 is supported,
> the 1500 is not. He's managed to find, download, and install drivers for it
> (quite impressive for someone that is very new to Linux) but is now stumped
> by a "missing filter" message. I've never had to jump through the hoops that
> he's already done and don't really know what sort of a filter could be
> missing. Any suggestions?
Google the exact error message; if there is a solution, you will find
people who have found or engineered it.

> From the specs, the (unsupported) IP 1500 seem to be the same basic engine
> as the (supported) IP 2000, just degraded slightly in speed & memory. I've
> faked out systems before by telling the add printer wizard that I really had
> a similar--but supported--printer, but that was with an LPT connection. How
> does one do something similar with a USB connection? (I'm hampered here in
> that I'm trying to help via phone and haven't actually seen his box or the
> choices on his screen.) This should be the easiest way to get him up &
> running.
If both drivers use the USB i/o, that's not going to matter.  Use
"dmesg" to see what is happening.

--
Skype: (623)239-3392
AT&T: (503)754-4452