PLUG-discuss Digest, Vol 53, Issue 22

gm5729 gm5729 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 22 14:58:51 MST 2009

I would say for a main latop or desktop Slack, Arch, and I think I'm
gonna venture into LFS after the holidays. All I have is time.

These past few weeks though for my eee, I've used Arch, Zenwalk,
Fedora 12 w/Moblin, gOS, and Easy Peasey. With screen real estate
being at a premium for those small interfaces an OS has to be more
versatile than a larger unit would be. Plus you are basically running
a computer that has the speeds of full fledged desktops 4-5 years ago.

F-12 is a nice release BUT Moblin even with them is unfinshed and
there are things that just don't work. I tried to get a copy of
Midiunux from the Asianux circle but CN speeds were probably being
monitored and they have their own form of Moblin. gOS is just *bunt*
remixed and with a lot of links to Google assets. I would love to have
seen a full working release of the new Google OS, but we'll have to
wait for that. So even though I'm not in any way a real fan of the
Canonical crowds releases Easy Peasey actually had the nicest COMPLETE
interface. I coul d up grade it just like a desktop/laptop in Debian.
Basicallly apps cover themselves in the one small space with a
maxiimized window, but it's easy to reach the easy peasey interface
switcher to open more apps or close other apps. I'm not used to sudo,
but I did find out that EP secures your passwords/shadows in sha512, I
added a root password so that is activated too. I haven''t had a lick
of problems AND it came in the color GREEN for the interface. LOL! So
on the scale of netbook OS's at present Easy Peasey comes in at a 9/10
overall.

Vi^3PP