not *buntu for netbook.

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Nov 20 23:50:06 MST 2009

On Fri, 2009-11-20 at 20:39 -0700, Trent Shipley wrote:
> I just got a netbook and it is running Windows 7 Starter. I intend to
>
> promiscuously attach it to public networks.  I figure I can avoid a lot
> of heartache by changing the OS to Linux.
>

> I already have Kubuntu on my favorite desktop.  I like it, except that
> after every major upgrade it gets flaky for a while.
>

> 1) I'd like to use anything except *ubuntu on the netbook.  What are
> some promising options?
>

> 2) I assume I use a bootable memory stick to start getting the distro, yes?
----
There is a fair of optimization for Atom processor and netbooks in
Fedora 12 with the new 'moblin' support...

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/release-notes/f12/en-US/html-single/

and yes, it was easy to get installed with a bootable memory stick - you
can use a 'live' or the 'full' installer if you wish. I originally
installed F-10 on my Aspire One with usb/live installer but I ended up
booting F-11 full installer from the USB and installing that when it was
still in development and earlier today, I did a 'preupgrade' to F12 so I
don't have much feedback to give yet.

Craig

believed to be clean.