Data Recovery from Buffalo NAS

Technomage technomage.hawke at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 17:08:05 MST 2009

um. recovering data on a raid 5??

is the array still intact or is it broken. if the latter, its will be
orders of magnitude more difficult
(but still doable).

here's a clip from www.diydatarecovery.nl:
*Data recovery from a broken array*

Due to the parity information a RAID 5 array can survive one single disk
failing, RAID 5 is 'fault tolerant'. The falling disk can be replaced
(hot swapped) and the data on the disk is rebuild using the parity
information. However due to circumstances this may fail. It can also
happen that the RAID adapter itself fails and very often it is not
possible to migrate an existing array to another RAID adapter. As a
result you have a bunch of disks, all containing bits of your data but
you can not access that data. This is where you will need true RAID
capable data recovery software.

You will need software that can treat the separate disks as one single
array. The software should enable the user to add disks that were part
of the array and to configure RAID parameters such as stripe size.
However many will not be knowledgeable enough to provide the parameter
sets thus ideally the software should be able to detect RAID parameters
such as stripe size and rotation (for example, in above illustration you
see forward rotation, inverted rotation is also possible).

As soon as the software has virtually recreated the array data recovery
proceeds normally; the disk is being scanned for file system structures
and a virtual file system is created from which data can be recovered.
DIY DataRecovery iRecover <http://www.diydatarecovery.nl/irecover.htm>
follows this procedure. Alternatively the reconstructed array is copied
entirely to another disk or raw image file. The destination disk can
then be analysed with any data recovery software, an image can be
analyzed with any software that is capable of processing a raw image
file. The latter is the method used by RAID Reconstructor from Runtime
Software (www.runtime.org <http://www.runtime.org/raid.htm>)

hope this helps.