{Disarmed} Re: Fedora firestorm and thoughts

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Nov 19 21:17:38 MST 2009

On Thu, 2009-11-19 at 19:22 -0700, Dazed_75 wrote:

> Sorry, but I don't see that excuses anything.  It means that that
> user/owner now does not necessarily even know whether he is installing
> system level components.  He no longer needs to know there may be
> impact to even that one other user which might even be his own other
> login.
>
> I know you are only explaining what reasoning he used and you don't
> condone him doing it without approval.  I am just saying even his own
> reasoning is flawed.  Plus which he did nothing to limit the impact of
> his decision to the use case his reasoning supposedly refers to.
----
but the software developers make endless decisions when they are writing
software and that is the way things are. Sometimes they make decisions
that the community overrides for various reasons and this is certain to
be one of them.

I would not bother entering the debate of whether his decision was
justified and find it encouraging that he defended his decision. Clearly
the community has spoken and it is certain to be changed.

I think this is testimony to the overall strength of the open source
development process because you surely understand that these types of
decisions made in proprietary software land do not get the same scrutiny
and do not bend to the will of the community.

I think that the hysterics by many who want to make this a larger issue
than just a policy decision made by someone who failed to anticipate the
reactions by the community at large...not a big deal.

Craig

believed to be clean.