Data Recovery USB flash drive

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Thu Nov 19 09:31:29 MST 2009

From: Mike Bushroe <mbushroe at gmail.com>
> Dmesg reported :
> [  852.093690] scsi 8:0:0:0: Direct-Access     LEXAR    JD FIREFLY
> [  852.097287] sd 8:0:0:0: [sdb] 3932160 512-byte hardware sectors

> So I tried dd if=/dev/sdN of=/home/usb bs=512 count=3932160 and got no
> errors

You meant "dd if=/dev/sdb of=/dev/null ..." , right?  /dev/sdN doesn't
exist, since all SCSI disks have lowercase letters, and the dmesg bits
above say that /dev/sdb is the right device.

> I could not get dd_rescue to work.

What was the exact command you typed?

> I am guessing that what I need next is an MBR editor that will allow
> me to report the 2MB VFAT32 file system again without reformatting

You meant "2G FAT32", right?  If this thing was set up the way these
disks usually are, the right thing to do would be to run cfdisk on
/dev/sdb and create one partition of type 0x0c that covers the whole
device.  Then it should work.

> I think the device would work fine again if I just let QTParted
> rebuild the partition table and format

No need to format anything.  If there are no logical partitions on
the disk, then the non-GPT partition table is entirely contained in
the first sector, and messing with it will not affect anything on
the rest of the disk.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows