Data Recovery USB flash drive, was: Data Recovery from Buffalo NAS

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Wed Nov 18 10:05:23 MST 2009

From: Mike Bushroe <mbushroe at gmail.com>
> I have just discovered that one of my USB thumb drives is no longer
> readable. At first, Linux reported a short MBF or partition read?
> Now, after running some demo only mode data recovery programs in
> Windows, it does not register or open at all.

If "dd if=/dev/sdN of=/dev/null bs=512 count=1" returns errors, then
you've probably got serious hardware problems.  You could try using
dd_rescue to make a copy of the disk, but I wouldn't hold out too
much hope for that.  Whatever you do, turn off any automounter
thing, because it'll do stupid things when presented with a failing
disk.  When you plug the drive in, what does dmesg say about the
drive?  Reproduce those messages for us.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows