Data Recovery from Buffalo NAS

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Tue Nov 17 13:23:47 MST 2009

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 10:10 PM, Eric Cope <eric.cope at gmail.com> wrote:

> We think the drives are good. We want to mount the four drives to extract
> the data (it was RAID 5). We only have 1 SATA2USB adapter. If I am able to
> read the whole paritition (using dd), how can I mount 4 iso's using RAID to
> get the data?
>
> On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 7:20 PM, Lisa Kachold <lisakachold at obnosis.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi ERIC
>>
>> On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 6:19 PM, Eric Cope <eric.cope at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>  some light googling revealed buffalo as a UFS partition over four drives.
>>> Has anyone recovered a software RAID 5 configuration? Can I dd to an iso,
>>> mount the iso's, mount the raid, extract the data, and move forward?
>>

>> You might have a different super block on the disk from Buffalo.   You
>> might check your exact model (Is this a LinkStation) against the HowTo's
>> from Buffalo?
>>
>> Knoppix works really well for restoring disks (every systems admin needs a
>> knoppix USB flash)
>>
>> Page 218 dd_rescue  (in case there are bad blocks):
>> http://www.scribd.com/doc/15490322/Knoppix-Hacks-by-OReilly-Media
>>
>> Buffalo's Wiki shows a procedure on how to restore data to a LinkStation
>> using Knoppix:
>>
>> http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Upgrade_%28or_replace%29_the_existing_LinkStation_hard_drive
>>
>> And:
>>
>> http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Upgrade_%28or_replace%29_the_existing_LinkStation_hard_drive#Backup_your_entire_hard_drive.2C_partition_a_blank_drive_on_a_Knoppix_workstation
>>
>> Full Knoppix Hacks (ripped to Scribd):
>> http://www.scribd.com/doc/15490322/Knoppix-Hacks-by-OReilly-Media
>>

> Hi Eric
>>
>> According to Buffalo's wiki:

With RAID5 the data is distributed accross all disks and one disk stores an
XOR checksum of the remaining (n-1) disks. So you can loose 1 disk.

In theory you should be able to connect all disks to a workstation, and
repair it there. In practice this does not work, as the byte
order<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byte_order>of a recular workstation
(i386) is different and the MD driver is not endian
agnostic. An Apple Mac is required for this.

See Moving disks <http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Moving_disks>,
or Terastation
crash after power
failure<http://forum.nas-central.org/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=1217&p=10728#p10728>.

xfs_repair on the Terastation worked for me. See reb's post : Raid 5 '4 red
lights' issue
Reference:
http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Terastation_Data_Recovery#RAID5

*For superblock identification and data repair on one disk see
http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Moving_disk*s

Buffalo uses Linux for RAID 5 on a Terastation (what is your model - that's
important), but the data is distributed across the drives.

The easiest would be to purchase a replacement Buffalo, use it to restore
your data (being careful to place your system in exactly the same
configuration, marking each drive as you take it out) and when you have
completed your task, and determine you no longer need it, return it.
You will pay a restocking fee, at most.

This ufsexplorer (tool) link might assist you to see the drive structure:
http://www.ufsexplorer.com/inf_terastation.php

And don't ask us, CALL or email Buffalo and look at their wiki!

--
>> Skype: (623)239-3392
>> AT&T: (503)754-4452
>> www.it-clowns.com