Data Recovery from Buffalo NAS

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Mon Nov 16 19:20:47 MST 2009

Hi ERIC

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 6:19 PM, Eric Cope <eric.cope at gmail.com> wrote:

some light googling revealed buffalo as a UFS partition over four drives.
> Has anyone recovered a software RAID 5 configuration? Can I dd to an iso,
> mount the iso's, mount the raid, extract the data, and move forward?

You might have a different super block on the disk from Buffalo.   You might
check your exact model (Is this a LinkStation) against the HowTo's from
Buffalo?

Knoppix works really well for restoring disks (every systems admin needs a
knoppix USB flash)

Page 218 dd_rescue  (in case there are bad blocks):
http://www.scribd.com/doc/15490322/Knoppix-Hacks-by-OReilly-Media

Buffalo's Wiki shows a procedure on how to restore data to a LinkStation
using Knoppix:
http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Upgrade_%28or_replace%29_the_existing_LinkStation_hard_drive

And:
http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Upgrade_%28or_replace%29_the_existing_LinkStation_hard_drive#Backup_your_entire_hard_drive.2C_partition_a_blank_drive_on_a_Knoppix_workstation

Full Knoppix Hacks (ripped to Scribd):
http://www.scribd.com/doc/15490322/Knoppix-Hacks-by-OReilly-Media

> > --
>> > Eric Cope
>> > http://cope-et-al.com
>> >

>> --
>> A mouse trap, placed on top of your alarm clock, will prevent you from
>> rolling over and going back to sleep after you hit the snooze button.
>>

> --
> Eric Cope
> http://cope-et-al.com

Hi Eric