Determining hard drive state

Alan Dayley alandd at consultpros.com
Sat Nov 14 12:16:34 MST 2009

By default, if the hard drive has power, it is spinning.  Unless the
host computer commands it to spin down, it is spinning.  In fact, some
research into this issue about two years ago showed that most drives
have a default idel spin down after 10+ hours.  So, unless you or the
OS or the driver or some entity in the computer tells the drive to
spin down, it is spinning.

Oh, and most any command sent to the drive by the host will cause it
to spin back up.  I don't know the specifics of version 7 but,
traditionally, MS Windows has a habit of pinging hard drives once a
second, just to make sure they didn't go away or something.  Linux
usually does not do this but configurations vary.

Alan