IRC Channel Access

Sean Parsons sean at theparsonsfamily.com
Fri Nov 13 18:28:48 MST 2009

Sorry, Guess the resolution would be prudent.

According to the Ubuntu council, the exploit is being handled in one of two
ways:

	1. Upgrade the firmware of the router, but nobody knows what
versions are safe, we couldn't agree on this as a resolution.
	2. Stop accessing freenode on channel 6667, they recommend 8001 as
the exploit doesn't work on this channel. I was able to get the irc client
switched to 8001 and after a lengthy appeal I was retested and the ban
lifted.

	I've read up on this issue as its been around since 2006 and affects
Linksys, Netgear, and several other residential gateways. My unit is a
Linksys WRT54G V8 which is only a few months old, so I wouldn't expect it to
have this issue, but apparently it does. The current firmware releases
dating back to my version do not show any resolution to this exploit, so I
don't want to flash my router until I know I have a problems and this is the
solution....

	As for the exploit, the script kiddies apparently launch some DCC
command at one of these routers and then kill the connection, it then forces
my connection to freenode to terminate. I fail to see how this becomes an
issue to them if I'm the one disconnected, but hey Im new to IRC. Anyway
they say that all users to freenode should take one of these two solutions
or risk being banned from any channel where these BOTS they have setup test
each user and kick/ban/redirect you into a purgatory where I found no help
in getting myself fixed, just read their web page post and figure it out on
your own. Hence my desire to go elsewhere.

	I've sent an e-mail to Linksys asking for information about this
issue and will post if I get a response, but the consensus on several forums
is that is an IRC server problem, not theirs.... so who knows when or if it
will be fixed..... 3 years is a long time to know about it and not fix it...

	Needless to say I learned more than I wanted to about this exploit,
my router, and IRC Sociology..... I prefer E-Mail, telephone, SMS, or even
hand gestures to some of this IRC experience.... but hey I'm still here!

Thanks to all who helped! Now I'm going to get drunk!

Sean Parsons