OT: Cox slowing torrents?

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Fri Nov 13 11:38:50 MST 2009

Am 13. Nov, 2009 schwätzte Stephen so:

> I have been tempted to get their business service, and they guarantee
> those up/down rates and include something like a 99% uptime or very
> near to it. and you get x number of IPs and no blocked ports.

They give you x number of IPs, but will yank them and give you new ones
with no notice. They might give you 2 day notice, but that's not enough
time for DNS to propagate and they don't remember that Cox used to ignore
TTL and cache all DNS for two weeks.

A friend has been on the residential service since it was first available
many years ago. He's had less IP changes than I had in the few years I had
cox business services. They really don't understand the concept of static
IP addresses.

I actually don't mind the IP changes as they're easy to deal with, but I
mind it happening with insufficient notice and no notice really pissed me
off. One of the no notice instances was because they didn't realize the
IPs were in use ( they obviously need to learn about ping ) and gave them
to someone else. They also need to do a better job of tracking which IPs
they've assigned.

Get cox business because you want to run services on your connection. If
you want stability and a mostly static IP, go with regular residential
service.

If you have cox business consider getting something else, so you can get
in and fix things when they knock you off the air while you're at work or
on vacation.

If you want a stable connection with static IPs consider DSL with a local
ISP like Deru. You don't need a local ISP if you don't want to run
services, but you should go with a local ISP anyway :).

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  http://www.LuftHans.com/        http://www.ABLEconf.com/
#  Director of Engineering, FonWallet Transaction Solutions, Inc.