IRC Channel Access

Sean Parsons sean at theparsonsfamily.com
Fri Nov 13 09:51:27 MST 2009

They say there is some DCC exploit my router is susceptible to, but can't be
specific, so they run some test on my connection and then kick/ban me from
channels. There is nothing wrong with my Linksys WRT54G router, except some
script kiddies on their network flood channels and I will apparently loose
connection and be dropped. So instead of educating people or patching their
servers, they kick//ban people, and when you ask questions the play with
their bots and pelt you with useless links... 6 on 1 is a bit overwhelming.

I tried 3 clients, same thing. Whatever they have built tests connections.
They can't explain why this is an issue to them if my connection gets
dropped, it's really my problem... They suggested changing from port 6667 to
8001 and after a great deal of confusion about "how " to do it in the
various clients, I was still kicked/banned from certain channels. So I give
up with these guys and their power trip. I've done nothing but
read/learn/contribute so I'm not a threat, but they feel this is the way to
handle things.

The DCC problem has been an issue for years, but to suddenly target users in
chat rooms designed to educate, is ridiculous and irresponsible behavior. So
I'd rather not use freenode, unless I have no other choice. BTW I am on a
fixed IP so it wouldn't take much for then to ban me from every channel..

Sean Parsons