anyone done a ubuntu 9.10 upgrade yet?

Stu wien33 at cox.net
Wed Nov 11 14:37:06 MST 2009

On Tue, 2009-11-10 at 22:09 -0700, Jerry Davis wrote:
> I have used linux for many years, and I have found that upgrades in place
> rarely work in the past.
>
> Has anyone done a upgrade in place using the Update Manager for ubuntu 9.10?
> Did it work?
>
> Or would it be better to just create a tarball of my home directory, save it
> off, download and burn the iso, and just do a full install?

Of course, you want to back-up all your files any time you make major
changes to your operating system, just in case something weird happens,
like continuous re-boots, or the system refuses to let you do a clean
install from an upgrade...
	I ran the 9.10 upgrade from the update manager. I started the process,
then went to bed. When I got up in the morning, everything was up and
running. For my part, the upgrade fixed a lot of minor issues I had with
9.04, and then some. It was a painless process for me.
	If you plan to save your home directory to do a clean install anyway,
why not just give the update manager upgrade a shot anyway? The worst
that can happen is you'll end up saving yourself a lot of time!

	Stu