anyone done a ubuntu 9.10 upgrade yet?

Joseph Sinclair plug-discussion at stcaz.net
Tue Nov 10 22:30:19 MST 2009

This depends on what you want out of the upgrade:
For most desktop use, upgrading from 9.04 to 9.10 is pretty smooth and painless, although you'll be stuck with the stupid chooser login, all of the other GDM options are gone.
There are some other "new" "features" that eliminate all choice in various areas, but most users won't notice those (picky types like me will probably want to "apt-get purge" about 200 packages jammed in by the new version in order to restore some semblance of a desktop that works your way, rather than the "Microsoft" way).

If you want to run ext4 partitions, you'll want to backup your homedir and do a clean install.  "Upgrades" from ext3 to ext4 aren't complete due to technical limitations, so it's best to do a clean format as ext4 if you want to use it.

After install, use "sudo apt-get purge update-manager update-notifier update-manager-core update-notifier-common" to get rid of the pop-under stupidity in update manager (introduced in 9.04 and still present in 9.10).  You'll have to run "apt-get update;apt-get -d dist-upgrade" nightly via cron (and then run "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" manually on occasion to do actual upgrades) to replicate the useful functionality that update-notifier used to offer, but it's a small price to pay for not having the stupid thing interrupt your work constantly.

==Joseph++