How to: Run a virtual machine like it ain't happening...

Dorian Monroe dorian.monroe at cox.net
Mon Nov 9 11:48:37 MST 2009

I think this is technically possible.  I admit I'm not familiar with linux vm apps though.  Vmware workstation will allow you to suck a physical machine into a VM using their vmware converter utility.  It should keep its domain membership and function like the physical, provided the conversion doesn't require that the machine belongs to a workgroup.  Of course there'll be problems with domain authentication if the VM and the physical are up at the same time.

Sounds like there may be some other political issues that may be troublesome though.  Sounds like this is a company-owned pc and of course corporate policies would trump any technical issues with being able to do this.  If there are any inventory agents running in the XP environment (altiris, sms, etc) I'm thinking someone'll be upset seeing an asset change from a physical machine to VM hardware.  Doing anything like this would automatically drop you into an "unsupported" status with any company that I've worked for.  :)   But I'm sure you're aware about all this, and know what you're getting into.  Otherwise you probably wouldn't even be asking!

Sent from my blackberry