How to: Run a virtual machine like it ain't happening...

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Mon Nov 9 11:30:18 MST 2009

Am 09. Nov, 2009 schwätzte kitepilot at kitepilot.com so:

moin moin,

> Virtual hello to everyone   :)
>
> I have done SOME research about this and I believe it can be achieved by
> "profiles".
>

> The environment:
> I am running a windoze (XP) laptop as a client of a Windomain.
> I have admin access to the laptop but not to the domain.
> I have to respect some seriously restrictive policies, for example: I am not
> allowed to repartition the HD.
>

> The challenge:
> I want to be able to boot the laptop native in windoze, and I want to be
> able to boot it from a USB drive in Linux and run the same XP machine
> virtual over its native partition, all this with no noticeable modifications
> to the Registry (or better NO modifications to the Registry) unless it is
> something that I can bill as harmless and understandable (like a "profile").
>
> Can it be done?

Not sure, but please let us know if you figure it out :).

Does your laptop have a builtin SD slot? If so, maybe use an SD card
rather than USB, so it can always be plugged in.

http://wubi-installer.org/

Links for similar projects at the bottom of the FAQ.

Maybe search for wubi and qemu and qcow2 in conjunction with wubi. I
didn't find anything with a quick search, but I didn't look very hard.

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  http://www.LuftHans.com/        http://www.ABLEconf.com/
#  Director of Engineering, FonWallet Transaction Solutions, Inc.