How to: Run a virtual machine like it ain't happening...

James Mcphee jmcphe at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 07:02:49 MST 2009

Pretty sure you're out of luck.  I normally run my XP install inside of
vmware so it can be transparently moved around, and you could do this on a
raw disk, but as for booting directly to this type of installation without a
vmware hypervisor...  Everything I know about windows says no.

On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 6:45 AM, kitepilot at kitepilot.com <
kitepilot at kitepilot.com> wrote:

> Virtual hello to everyone   :)
>
> I have done SOME research about this and I believe it can be achieved by
> "profiles".
>

> The environment:
> I am running a windoze (XP) laptop as a client of a Windomain.
> I have admin access to the laptop but not to the domain.
> I have to respect some seriously restrictive policies, for example: I am
> not
> allowed to repartition the HD.
>

> The challenge:
> I want to be able to boot the laptop native in windoze, and I want to be
> able to boot it from a USB drive in Linux and run the same XP machine
> virtual over its native partition, all this with no noticeable
> modifications
> to the Registry (or better NO modifications to the Registry) unless it is
> something that I can bill as harmless and understandable (like a
> "profile").
>
> Can it be done?
>
> I also want the reverse, to boot windoze and run Linux virtual over its own
> partition, but that one is trivial...    :)
> Thanks!
> ET

James McPhee
jmcphe at gmail.com