Linux certification

Thomas Cameron thomas.cameron at camerontech.com
Tue Nov 3 22:41:19 MST 2009

On 11/01/2009 09:55 AM, Sean Parsons wrote:
> Hello all –
>
> I’m new to the group, but have been working in IT fields for longer than
> I want to admit, but I see the error of my ways and I want to repent and
> be saved….. I’m considering getting Linux certification.
>

> I am interested in speaking with anyone who has gotten certified, or can
> give me any details about local cert classes or testing.

Disclaimer - I work for Red Hat and am biased.

Having said that, I've held certifications at various times as:

Novell Certified Netware Engineer
Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer
Microsoft Certified Trainer
TurboLinux Certified Instructor
Red Hat Certified Engineer
Red Hat Certified Instructor
Red Hat Certified Examiner
...and hopefully soon, Red Hat Certified Architect

I have been a hiring manager or at least involved in the hiring process
at a number of different companies including pretty big ones like Dell,
Unisys and now Red Hat.

I can say that I would *much* rather hire a person who is certified by
the vendor of the technology I use.  If everyone on the team has proven
(s)he understands the vendor's approach and adopts the vendor's best
practices, communications are going to be easier, it's going to be
easier to hire replacements, etc.

Certification is *not* a panacea.  Like others have mentioned, I've met
some folks with a stack of certs I would not trust to manage a VCR with
the clock flashing 12:00, much less an enterprise computing environment.
 But attainment of certifications is one of many indicators I use to vet
candidates.

If you are looking at certification in furtherance of getting a job, a
quick check of DICE and Monster show that there is a pretty good demand
for RHCEs.

Thomas