Android Phones

Alan Dayley alandd at consultpros.com
Mon Nov 2 19:09:13 MST 2009

My wife and I recently each picked up the T-Mobile My Touch phone.

- Nice, smooth operation most of the time.  Once in a while it pauses
for a few seconds before bringing up the requested task.
- Battery life is easily good for an average day but will chew up
quick if you use all the features, all the time.
- Don't get it if you are just going to talk and text.
-- You must subscribe to a data plan if you get the phone and will be
paying about $75 a month for service.  That's cheaper than iPhone and
some Blackberry plans but still, it's a chunk of change.
-- On the other hand, once you start using the data service, doing
email, web browsing, Twitter, maps, etc., you may start doing things
beyond just talk and text.
-- The data plan is all you can eat, data and texting.
- The back of my phone seems to come off too easily.  Don't know if
that is for all phones or just mine.
- One can "root" the phone to get terminal access (BusyBox) and even
more control.
-- This takes you off the "official" updates from the service provider
but could be good.
-- I have not done this but plan to do so to get the
http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/ going!
-- After "rooting" you can load several different ROMs to get
different features and really go off into whatever you feel like
hacking.  I don't plan to do this.

Alan