Document Management

Alex Dean alex at crackpot.org
Mon Nov 2 08:12:03 MST 2009

On Nov 1, 2009, at 9:24 PM, Ted Gould wrote:

> On Sun, 2009-11-01 at 08:20 -0700, Carlton Brooks wrote:
>> I am looking for a program to handle all my family/business
>> documents.
>>
>> I would like to be able to scan in the document/invoice etc and have
>> some control over where to store it.
>> Is there a program out there that will help me do this.
>
> I'd recommend gscan2pdf.  It works with SANE, but does nice things
> like
> handle double sided stuff easily.  It will also work with GOCR to do
> OCR, but leave the text embedded in the document (not shown) so it can
> be searched, but when a human looks at it they see the scanned image.

Is there any way for an end-user to see the text version?  That would
be important for people who want to copy/paste from some document
they've searched for (and found).

Someday I'm going to start digitizing and OCR-ing the 100 years of
local newspapers which are gathering mold in the library basement.  I
really have no firm plan as to how I'm going to do it, but doing it
with free software would be a big plus.

alex