first Time DRBL

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Thu May 28 12:56:51 MST 2009

I'd installed DRBL on my laptop's vm a while back as a cloning tool
(clonezilla, uses DRBL), which I found basically never worked in many
attempts to clone windows or linux.  Wouldn't surprise me if it was my
fault, but I could never find the secret sauce to get it properly
functional.  It always seemed to hang reading a disk somewhere in the
middle, after hours of trying, leaving anything unusable.

Just getting it working was a bit of a chore, as their setup scripts
assume certain stupid things like the server would multihome between a
private and a public (non-RFC1918, outside a firewall, ick) ip space, so
I had to modify some of the regexp's in the setup script to get it
working between 2 privately routable subnets.  I ran off of the
directions mostly on their site to get things going short of that quirk.
Caveat Emptor...

Aside from that, it did work pretty well for diskless booting machines
into various linux os's to install themselves.  I pxe booted a box and
installed ubuntu from it just fine.  I wanted to play more with the
thin-client functionality, but somewhat lost interest/purpose.  It took
a lot of guesswork out of setting up dhcpd, tftp, etc for remote booting
which was nice.

YMMV...

-mb