Installfest 5/30 (new thread)

Matthew A Coulliette matthewlug at cox.net
Wed May 27 10:40:26 MST 2009

Matthew A Coulliette wrote:
> I've had about three RSVP's, some are a bit heafty:
>
> --------
>
> Just moved to Phoenix from Oakland CA and I have a new reasonably up
> to date refurbished HP desktop computer with Vista that i only got
> because none of my 2 desktops and 1 laptop with Ubuntu  are really
> working after a move.  I have used Linux on and off for 10 years but
> have not attained any expertise. I want to back up the factory image,
> then format it and replace it with dual boot with super grub (?)  ,
> Ubuntu or other Debian Linux and Windows 7.0 beta, and learn about
> virtual windows inside Linux and whether it can access various
> peripherals. The only reason i want dual boot is to access VPN at work
> and because i have been unsuccessful gettinga webcam to work in Linux-
> though I have anew one that works with mac and windows so it may work.

Are you sure that it is not possible to use Linux to connect via a VPN
at work?  Also, from what I have heard most web camera's work under
Linux.  In my opinion (IMO) you should install Ubuntu Desktop 9.04 and
then work on solving any remaining issues so that you can use 1 OS for
everything. (I mean Linux for everything.)
> I have been to Rick Moen's installfests in Menlo Prk CA a half dozen
> times which is how I got linux working for me.
>

> Lorne Salter
>
> -------
>

> I have a HP Pavilion that I want to run on Linux only - no dual boot.
> Now has windows XP on it......I plan on attending your event this saturday.
>
> 1.  What should I do to it prior to sat?

Backup anything you want to keep from the computer you are going to
install Linux on.
> 2.  The notes say to bring a monitor, but that is difficult -- is it
> possible to find one on location to use?

This is a gabble.  In all likely hood if someone else goes through all
the trouble to bring a monitor they will probably want to use it to do
their install.  Also, it is good to have the actual monitor you are
going to use so that we can configure the OS for it.
> 3.  What else should I be thinking about?
>
> This is my first look at Linux, I think I want to use Ubuntu -- my goal
> is to run all my units on Linux in the future.  I now use XP w/Office
> software, and my major concern is compatibility with others who I work
> with who use Windows Office Suite.  Access, Excel, Word, Publisher - you
> get the drill.  Adobe pdf's, etc.

Take a look at OpenOffice.org it is the open source equivalent of
Microsoft Office.  For email I would recommend Evolution, it is supposed
to be full compatible with Outlook.  For web browsing the obvious choice
is Firefox.  For desktop publishing it will be Scribus.  The Gimp is a
graphics image manipulation program.  Blender is an animation creation
program, the equivalent of AutoDesk's 3DS Max or Maya.  If you want to
do video editing it will be Cinelerra.  For sound editing it will be
Audacity.  If you want a Flight Simulator it will be Flightgear.  And
here are a few games that I would recommend: Chromium, TuxType,
LBreakout, LTris, Penguin-Command, and SuperTux.
> lyle tuttle
> Lyle Tuttle
>
> L. tuttle at cox.net
>
> H = 623-583-2354
> C = 623-451-6928
> Skype = lyle.tuttle
>
> *"Do What's Right.  Do it Right.  Do it Right Now!"*
>
> OK, here is more info:
>
> 1.3 mz AMD Athlon
> 768 mb ram
> 55 gig HD
> now has XP w/Serv Pac 3 on it -- how do I remove the windows os?

Not to worry, formatting the HDD is part of the installation process.

> lyle
>

> --------
>

> I will attend your installfest at 10 AM. I have tried to install ubuntu
> without success.

What kind of computer do you have?  I am planning on attending the
Installfest as well, but no promises. - MatthewMPP