Installfest 5/30

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Tue May 26 20:53:14 MST 2009

Alexander, I do plan to attend as usual.  A reply for Lorne is below.

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 10:57 AM, Alexander Henry <alexanderhenry at cox.net>wrote:

> I've had about three RSVP's, some are a bit heafty:
>
> --------
>
> Just moved to Phoenix from Oakland CA and I have a new reasonably up
> to date refurbished HP desktop computer with Vista that i only got
> because none of my 2 desktops and 1 laptop with Ubuntu  are really
> working after a move.  I have used Linux on and off for 10 years but
> have not attained any expertise. I want to back up the factory image,
> then format it and replace it with dual boot with super grub (?)  ,
> Ubuntu or other Debian Linux and Windows 7.0 beta, and learn about
> virtual windows inside Linux and whether it can access various
> peripherals. The only reason i want dual boot is to access VPN at work
> and because i have been unsuccessful gettinga webcam to work in Linux-
> though I have anew one that works with mac and windows so it may work.
>
> I have been to Rick Moen's installfests in Menlo Prk CA a half dozen
> times which is how I got linux working for me.
>

> Lorne Salter

You really should deal with the windows issues before the installfest if
possible.  Especially given the limited time on Saturday.

HP's with Vista usually come with instructions (not prominently displayed)
allowing you to create a DVD or set of CDs for restoring Vista even though
they also usually have a recovery partition.  Do that if possible.  If not
then you need to do a type of backup that lets you restore to bare iron.
Again, something we really can't do on Saturday.

Windows 7 RC (Release Candidate) is now available though maybe it was not
when you emailed Alexander.  So download it before you come.  If you want to
install it, it should allow you to replace the existing Vista.  Though I bet
if you bring it to the installfest, there will be people willing to do the
install for you and others who might want to watch.  :)

I have read that people have installed ubuntu 9.04 on a win7 RC machine
without problems but I have no real experience with that.

Larry a.k.a. Dazed_75

> -------
>

> I have a HP Pavilion that I want to run on Linux only - no dual boot.
> Now has windows XP on it......I plan on attending your event this saturday.
>
> 1.  What should I do to it prior to sat?
>
> 2.  The notes say to bring a monitor, but that is difficult -- is it
> possible to find one on location to use?
>
> 3.  What else should I be thinking about?
>
> This is my first look at Linux, I think I want to use Ubuntu -- my goal
> is to run all my units on Linux in the future.  I now use XP w/Office
> software, and my major concern is compatibility with others who I work
> with who use Windows Office Suite.  Access, Excel, Word, Publisher - you
> get the drill.  Adobe pdf's, etc.
>
> lyle tuttle
> Lyle Tuttle
>
> L. tuttle at cox.net
>
> H = 623-583-2354
> C = 623-451-6928
> Skype = lyle.tuttle
>
> *"Do What's Right.  Do it Right.  Do it Right Now!"*
>
> OK, here is more info:
>
> 1.3 mz AMD Athlon
> 768 mb ram
> 55 gig HD
> now has XP w/Serv Pac 3 on it -- how do I remove the windows os?
>

> lyle
>

> --------
>

> I will attend your installfest at 10 AM. I have tried to install ubuntu
> without success.
>

> Jim

Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry