Installfest 5/30 (new thread)

Matthew A Coulliette matthewlug at cox.net
Tue May 26 17:46:35 MST 2009

I've had about three RSVP's, some are a bit heafty:

--------

Just moved to Phoenix from Oakland CA and I have a new reasonably up
to date refurbished HP desktop computer with Vista that i only got
because none of my 2 desktops and 1 laptop with Ubuntu  are really
working after a move.  I have used Linux on and off for 10 years but
have not attained any expertise. I want to back up the factory image,
then format it and replace it with dual boot with super grub (?)  ,
Ubuntu or other Debian Linux and Windows 7.0 beta, and learn about
virtual windows inside Linux and whether it can access various
peripherals. The only reason i want dual boot is to access VPN at work
and because i have been unsuccessful gettinga webcam to work in Linux-
though I have anew one that works with mac and windows so it may work.

I have been to Rick Moen's installfests in Menlo Prk CA a half dozen
times which is how I got linux working for me.

Lorne Salter

-------

I have a HP Pavilion that I want to run on Linux only - no dual boot.
Now has windows XP on it......I plan on attending your event this saturday.

1.  What should I do to it prior to sat?

2.  The notes say to bring a monitor, but that is difficult -- is it
possible to find one on location to use?

3.  What else should I be thinking about?

This is my first look at Linux, I think I want to use Ubuntu -- my goal
is to run all my units on Linux in the future.  I now use XP w/Office
software, and my major concern is compatibility with others who I work
with who use Windows Office Suite.  Access, Excel, Word, Publisher - you
get the drill.  Adobe pdf's, etc.

lyle tuttle
Lyle Tuttle

L. tuttle at cox.net

H = 623-583-2354
C = 623-451-6928
Skype = lyle.tuttle

*"Do What's Right.  Do it Right.  Do it Right Now!"*

OK, here is more info:

1.3 mz AMD Athlon
768 mb ram
55 gig HD
now has XP w/Serv Pac 3 on it -- how do I remove the windows os?

lyle

--------

I will attend your installfest at 10 AM. I have tried to install ubuntu
without success.

Jim