corrupted download

Matthew A Coulliette matthewlug at cox.net
Tue May 26 10:43:28 MST 2009

Dazed_75 wrote:

> On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 7:51 PM, Matthew A Coulliette
> <matthewlug at cox.net <mailto:matthewlug at cox.net>> wrote:
>
>     I have never seen that happen, (the md5sum being next to the file).  I
>     found a list called MD5sums for the iso I was downloading, and even if
>     this list is invalid, every one of my downloads has a different
>     md5sum,
>     (even though I keep downloading the same iso). - MatthewMPP
>

> When you said "list called MD5sums for the iso I was downloading",
> that sounded a bit like it was a list of md5sums for the files within
> the .iso.  There should only be one md5sum for the .iso itself.
There was a list with the names of ubuntu iso's and their corresponding
md5sums.  I used the md5sum for the iso I downloaded.

> You also said "every one of my downloads has a different md5sum, (even
> though I keep downloading the same iso)".  It definitely should not do
> that (and protocols should prevent it happening repeatedly and without
> warning).  I might suspect noise on a disk interface or some kind of
> malware but then I would expect you to have other problems as well.
> Can you try doing this on some other computer?
> --
> Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry
I was wondering if it could be a NIC card going bad, and if there was a
command line program for finding the problem.  I did have a friend
download the same iso and burn it onto a disk and then he brought it
over and we used the "check disk" option on it and it was perfect. I do
agree that I should try this on another computer at the same location.
I will try to do this today or tomorrow. - MatthewMPP