OT: [Computerworld:] "Cisco takes aim at WiMax"

Mike Schwartz mike.l.schwartz at gmail.com
Mon May 25 23:35:38 MST 2009

see comments "bottom posted" [below].
thanks, Mike S.

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 4:37 PM, Carlos Macedo Gomes <
powerofprimes at gmail.com> wrote:

> Full disclosure: I work for Intel but not in our Wireless Group.
>
> On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 5:03 PM, Joseph Sinclair <
> plug-discussion at stcaz.net> wrote:
>
>> There are some substantial differences between WiMax and WiFi.
>

> Agreed. WiFi is 802.11 (b,a,g,n) certified by the WiFi Alliance (
> http://www.wi-fi.org/ )  WiMAX is 802.16 (e or d) certified by WiMAX Forum
> (http://www.wimaxforum.org/ )
>
> But there are also some basic similarities.  Both are
> data communications standards that directly support IPv4 and IPv6.  Both
> bring native IPv4/IPV6 to consumers via radio frequency (i.e., RF, radio,
> wireless).  Only WiMAX does direct IPv4/IPv6 across large distances (i.e.
> WANs) using RF.  LTE brings cellular RF over large distances closer to
> IPv4/IPv6 but it's still not a pure data communications standard since it
> has some genetic inheritance of legacy cellular designs and specifications.
>  WiMAX and current celluar services are complementary.  WiMAX and LTE are
> not so complementary due to basic overlaps in tech and in competing
> business.
>
> My elevator pitch would be: Both LTE and WiMAX bring data to RF WANs but
> LTE is born of cellular (with inheritance) and WiMAX is born of
> Ethernet/IPv4/IPV6 (with inheritance).
>
> The Muni WiFi nets are about providing 802.11 throughout an area.
>> Considering the limited range of the 2.4GHz band used, it's fairly difficult
>> and there tend to be a lot of small dead zones.
>

> Not to mention that 802.11 doesn't include roaming, meshing, robust
> security (e.g., authentication, identification, confidentiality) that are
> needed for continuous & contiguous wide area coverage and secure access.
> http://www.wimaxmaps.org/
>
> WiMax is a wide-area technology in a completely different (and fully
>> licensed) band.  WiMax placements cannot be done by consumers because you
>> have to pay a lot of money for the location-specific license and meet FCC
>> siting requirements.  ClearWire holds most (about $3 billion worth
>> transferred from Sprint) of the WiMax licenses in the US.
>

> Right now the carriers own the transport part of the WiMAX equation. That
> doesn't rule out the ability of other businesses from providing the backend
> now offered (or planned) by carriers. Small groups might be able to create
> smaller WiMAX (or 802.16) clouds that may or may not mesh w/ the carriers.
>  Wireless Phoenix (http://www.wireless-phoenix.com/) <http://www.wireless-phoenix.com/>already
> offers private label WiMAX in Phoenix and other groups should be able to
> come up w/ various business models leveraging the new technology including
> free (as in speech and as in beer).  That's assuming WiMAX succeeds as a
> technology... :-)  Some folks are already looking into open sourcing the
> client side of the technology:
> http://www.linuxwimax.org/Home
>
> http://www.openclovis.org/project-poll/project-idea-building-wimax-wireless-broadband-802-16e-product-on-top-of-atca-platform
> [...]

Thanks, CG.I may not have read all of your explanations half as carefully as
they were written, but you (and at least "some" of the others, too) seem to
have a good perspective on the "big picture", and a good knack for putting
it in to terms that help to make it easy (/easiER) to understand.--
Mike Schwartz
Glendale  AZ
schwartz at acm.org