Cox general speed issues

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Mon May 25 11:21:55 MST 2009

Mark and Kenny, thanks!

It's definitely not a dns resolution issue, this is more the network.
Their "speed-boost" marketing is really just that - marketing, rather it
is inherent to them making the change to docsis 3.0 technology.

What I'd heard was that with the move to docsis 3.0, they're allocating
new rf spectrum for "wideband", "narrowband", and "legacy" channels.
Anyone not on a docsis 3.0 compatible modem goes back of the bus, which
I believe where 99.9% of us are at now, and see this apparent throttling
as part of this.  I was told to get a 3.0 compatible modem like the
motorola 6120 modems, and I'd then be pretty much in spectrum of my own
until modems became more readily available.

Now this is crappy as that means everyone is screwed until either they
fix this regression in legacy technology, or we all upgrade.  While I'm
sure Cox and Motorola would love this, I'd rather love to shove a foot
up their rear and have them fix their buggy docsis 3.0 code with Cisco
on their uBR's.  I'd recommend others do this too, but their general
monkey support won't be able to help outside pushing for management
intervention.

I just wanted to make sure it wasn't just some oddity that I run a cisco
firewalls/switches, or use linux on every box or vm I have.  I'm a freak
like that.  :)

-mb