Cox general speed issues

Kenny McHenry kennymcaz at gmail.com
Sun May 24 22:56:03 MST 2009

Part of the fast speed and then the drop could be caused by their "speed
boost". It gives you a fast burst of speed to start off a download but then
slows down after that. I have noticed the same thing as well. expecially if
i'm trying to apt-get during supposed "peak" times. you are not alone.

On Sun, May 24, 2009 at 10:45 PM, Michael Butash <michael at butash.net> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>  I'm curious, has anyone seen speed issues with cox lately or in about
> the past 6 months in general?  I ask, because I have a completely
> reproducible issue, where with ubuntu, doing an apt-get of any server,
> on any mirror around the world, I get all downloads that start very
> fast, and throttle down to nothing after a few seconds.  Restarting it
> goes fast, then slows like clockwork, literally to kb/s or nothing.
> Same behavior occurs with FTP protocol for the apt-get's as well.  P2P,
> usenet, other bandwidth leeching methods work just fine, just anything
> with static/single/long-term tcp flow connections seems to be affected.
> I tried this from different modems on different regional nodes, and same
> thing.  I'm thinking im not the only one with this, and feels a lot like
> buffering/queuing (problems) in their network.
>
>  A little birdy in the know told me this is could be a more rampant
> issue due to updates in the cox cable network, but I'd like to have some
> other consensus/input before making an issue of it.  Most windows users
> I've talked to seem oblivious to it, but I figure I'd ask others that
> might use linux the same way.  I don't use windoze enough to know.
>
> -mb

Kenny McHenry