Install 9.04, update disk

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Sun May 24 10:34:02 MST 2009

Top posting since you did.

OK, so when you said:
I am trying to install Ubuntu 9.04 on another computer and it
is giving me a lot of trouble.  The computer boots from the install
cdrom like normal.  Then, I select install and it will start the process
and then it will hang on me.
the "select install" was from the initial menu, not the screen icon I had
thought you meant.  Was it then the second item on the menu?

BTW, http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1341 is a review of
your mobo.  I would agree that using an alternate install cd would be a good
thing to try but so would xubuntu or any of the other small distros.  You
know I live way east, but next saturday is another installfest so we could
play with it there if you want to haul the whole system, monitor, keyboard,
etc in there.

But even before that, try booting the same CD again but use the check CD for
defects option.  After all, it could be the drive in this machine has
trouble with it even though it worked fine in another machine.  I would go
so far as to suggest you make the check defects display messages as it
works:

   1. Arrow down to the check for defects option and press F6.  A command
   line and a small menu box will appear.
   2. Press ESCAPE to dump the menu box
   3. Press left arrow to move the cursor (initially invisible) to the end
   of the word "quiet" and then backspace to remove that word.
   4. Press ENTER to begin the check which will now tell you on the screen
   what it is checking. NOTE that it will appear to hang for some time on one
   file (I think it's called squashfs) which takes a long time to process
   because it has a whole file system within it.

You could also run some memory tests but that is not likely your problem.

Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry