DMZ with SME server.

Matthew A Coulliette matthewlug at cox.net
Sun May 24 09:16:31 MST 2009

Hi everyone,

I have drawn and attached a flow chart of my computer network.  I used
openoffice.org-draw.  Conventions I used in drawing the diagram:
(computer name), and [description].

zones are currently not working.

My target for this email is to get help with setting up the DMZ and the
SME server.

Eventually, I will need the computers on the green zone to have access
to the web page provided by my web server, and I would like to backup
the SME server hdd to my data server once per week.

The goal of the network is to have a 4 zone IPCop Firewall/Router.  A
green local network with workstations and a data server.  A blue
wireless network for laptop access to the green network.  An orange DMZ
for the SME/WEB server, and red would be the www.

IPCop Manual: "When you set up your server, you can
choose the receiving or “listening” ports..."  Once those receiving
ports are ready, you are ready to enter information into the AW on
IPCop." How do I set up the listening ports on SME server?  Can I
set this up during the installation of SME server?

I have entered info into the AW on IPCop. I forwarded port 80 from the
red ip (98.172.82.XXX) to port 80 on the SME ip (192.168.2.2) in the
IPCop web admin page.

SME server manual: it describes the difference between a routable and
non-routable ip address.  I am not sure which one I am using.  I believe
that I am using a non-routable ip address.  Can someone tell me what the
IP address for my SME server should be, in order for it to be routable?

SME server manual: "Some ISPs block outgoing HTTP connections, forcing
you to use their proxy server. This interferes in a few minor ways with
your server (e.g., the test for Internet connectivity will fail
erroneously)." My test for Internet connectivity always fails.
"However, using the ISP's proxy server will normally work fine."  I
believe that I have this problem.  Will the COX proxy server work in my
situation?  How can I find out about the COX proxy server? Call them?

SME server manual:  Does COX publish the DNS address records,
(information associated with the name of my web server), allowing other
DNS servers to lookup my domain information?

Many thanks in advance for your replies and advice. - MatthewMPP