unlock keyring

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Sat May 23 16:36:16 MST 2009

Lyle,

  I had the same issue, setting passwords in the "password and
encryption key" manager section.  By default it relies on your login,
once logged in, unlocks that user.  If you set a different password, the
system can no longer transparently pass those credentials to the
application requesting keyring access.

  You're not going to be able to reverse/see the password on your
keyring, so best option would be to delete your existing keys and start
over.  If you delete your "my personal keys", log out, and log back in,
I think it'll rebuild them.  This should bind everything to your login
account credentials, which is what you'll want for a desktop os.
Anything else ends up being a PITA with Ubuntu.

  A more heavy handed approach would be to nuke the directory as Joseph
recommended, log out, and log back in.  I believe this is what I did
after futzing with it for far too long after being nagged incessantly to
authorize for wifi keys distribution.

-mb