Command Line Tools

Matrix Mole matrixm at gmail.com
Mon May 18 23:14:44 MST 2009

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 10:08 PM, Matthew A Coulliette
<matthewlug at cox.net> wrote:

> I have researched the commands and there are a
> few I could not find or understand.  I am hoping you guys will give me a
> little more direction on the following items:
>
> relabel, enableaudit, audit2allow, dig, nslookup, git, svn, cvs, scp,
> ps, aux, poe, imo, uudeview.

First thing, make sure you've executed 'man <program>' to get any
possible ideas regarding the programs.

I'll try to shed a little light on some of these. nslookup is part of
most distro's network tools packages (although some distro's may have
replaced it with the dig command). nslookup/dig is used to lookup up
the DNS information on a domain name/IP address. git, svn, and cvs are
tools that help with group development projects (at least, from what I
can gather of them, never used them myself since I'm not a developer).
scp is usually installed as part of openssh and is used to copy files
from one host to another via an ssh encrypted connection. ps is a
process listing tool (aux is actually flags to use with ps so that the
command is 'ps aux'). ps is very useful in tracking down what programs
are running on the system and getting the necessary process id (PID)
of the program to manipulate it as necessary (usually with kill
command).

uudeview is a binhex/base64/yEnc/uu decoder, which is the format
messages are usually posted to newsgroups in. It's not a standard
program in that every distro has it installed by default, instead
you'd have to go and download/install it yourself most of the time (or
check to see if it's listed in your distro package manager). The
website for the program can be found here:
http://www.fpx.de/fp/Software/UUDeview/

The other programs in the list above I've never heard of (although imo
may not be a progarm name at all, but instead merely the shortcut for
In My Opinion).