List of Command Line Tools

Matrix Mole matrixm at gmail.com
Sun May 17 10:05:42 MST 2009

I am surprised, with all these great command line tools that have been
mentioned no one has yet to mention screen, an almost vital component
in my toolbox for command line usage.

Other programs I use that I don't believe I've seen mentioned:

rtorrent - Torrents
mcabber - Jabber tool (connected to gchat)
uudeview - used to decode binary files from newgroups

I've tried both tin and slrn for newsgroup reading, both work great
for text, but for some reason seem to fail at binary newgroup usage in
my opinion (been over a year since I used newsgroups though so
couldn't say off the top of my head why now). I've found nget works
great for pure binaries though.

I've been trying to find a really good imap based command line email
client that blends almost perfectly with gmail and it's inability to
accurately implement imap according to the RFCs (basically something
that does similar to thunderbird but via command line instead). I've
tried mutt, but it generated extra emails whenever I send for some
reason (they appear in my inbox as replies of my email for some
reason, causing unnecessary clutter).