Home Directory as the Desktop?

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Fri May 15 23:57:56 MST 2009

Yes, granted it's not too much more insecure either way (perhaps more secure
in a non-standard place, as a script kiddie is going to attempt to write to
a set path.

But since the $HOME directory is in your shell path, the /HOME/Desktop is
not, that's going to also allow them to write to all adjacent directories
./ssh or whatever else is owned by you, or under $HOME, like public_html for
instance.

....a few other things also, not much worth mentioning, having to do with
Firefox, plugins, etc.

On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 8:43 PM, Dazed_75 <lthielster at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 6:59 PM, Lisa Kachold <lisakachold at obnosis.com>wrote:
>
>> http://lwn.net/Articles/319938/
>> http://www.geekzone.co.nz/foobar/6229
>>
>> Thanks for the references.  I pretty much understand the issues discussed
> although I am less sure I understand how having $HOME/Desktop is more secure
> than having $HOME being used AS the desktop folder.  Probably due to where
> the malware creator is able to get the autostarted file placed.  That
> ability seems the same to me regardless of which directory is being used as
> the desktop folder.  However, since I want it to be $HOME/Desktop I guess I
> am satisfied with my current degree of understanding though I will hold the
> references to reread another time.
>
> In any case, my original question has not been answered.  I do believe I
> have found the answer but will include that in another post.
>

> --
> Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry

www.obnosis.com (503)754-4452
"Contradictions do not exist." A. Rand