OT: Compile a cpp file on HPUX with gcc

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Fri May 15 08:28:55 MST 2009

From: Donn <dlshumway at gmail.com>
> have a cpp file with three .h header files that I would like to compile in
> our Oracle servers (HPUX 11). The gcc compiler is installed on the HP
> servers, but the source code does not contain a make file, so we don’t
know
> how to compile it in HPUX (not being programmers, but IT nerds).

It's been a really long time since I've compiled anything on HPUX,
but if there was no Makefile, the compilation must be really simple.
(Or the project is not intended for use by anyone other than real
developers.)  First thing I'd try is "g++ -o lpssend lpssend.cpp",
which should work properly if the program is simple and gcc and its
C++ supporting structure is installed properly, and the program
doesn't require any external libraries.  It might be a good idea to
check the .cpp file to see if there's a suggested compilation line
within /* */s at the beginning or end of the file.

HPUX is weirder than Solaris when it comes to compiling stuff though.
I had a hard time getting it to compile a fairly standard C program
10 years ago, but that machine didn't have gcc installed, and HPUX's
cc is profoundly stupid.

> Operating Systems known to compile LPSSend without error:
>           Redhat 5.1, 5.2, 6.0, 6.1, 6.2
>           Corel 1.1
>           SCO UNIX Open Server 5.x
>           Debian 2.1 r4
>           FreeBSD 4.0
>           NetBSD 1.4.1

Wow, this code is old.  It might compile, or it might fail with all
sorts of bizarre errors.  Reproduce them if they happen.  Maybe
someone will be able to advise you.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows