Looking for Laptop Suggestions

Mark Phillips mark at phillipsmarketing.biz
Tue May 12 10:03:47 MST 2009

Thanks for all the advice! My take away so far:
1. Buy a Mac - all problems solved, but I have no idea how to use it or
support it, and probably the most expensive choice.

2. Get a dual boot system - inconvenient, but I can support it for her long
distance

3. Netbook vs laptop - I agree the portability is important, but a
comfortable keyboard is a necessity. Definitely worth looking into. CNET
picked the Eee PC 1000HE as the top netbook....but it is black! (See #4
below).

4. Have her pick a different major.....I am not overly worried as she is
smart and has a year or two to explore before she chooses something..;-) She
is a whiz at math and science, so maybe she will return from the dark side
(her mom was poly sci/journalism major) before she graduates...;-)

4. Lisa picked up on a good point - my daughter is deathly afraid I will get
her a "black box" computer for college. I mean a real black box - square
corners, matte black. We don't agree on shoes, and we don't agree on the
need for a fashionable laptop....so I have to through in that as a
requirement as well....no square corners and matte/shiny black finish. Must
have color...I suggested spray paint, but didn't get very far.;-)

No one mentioned a VM solution - boot Linux and run Windows with some form
of vmware for ITunes. Am I looking at yet more expense for high end hardware
(lots of RAM and dual core)? I have tried vmware on my P4 2 GHz laptop and
it works but a little too slow. Also, the fan sounds like a blender on max,
so it kind of defeats the quiet aspect of a laptop.

I have also had great experiences with older Dell hardware, but I have heard
that their quality is falling.

Thanks for all the input - any vmware/other vm solutions on Linux fans out
there with recommendations for good laptop hardware?

Mark