Chinese Kiddos with Broken Dicts?

Kurt Granroth kurt+plug-discuss at granroth.com
Sat May 9 22:35:08 MST 2009

That seems... unlikely.  I have had thousands of unique IPs hit some of
my hosts, many to never repeat after a round of attacks.  The more
plausible route is that they have a botnet of pwned boxes numbering in
the hundreds of thousands and they just use them for random dictionary
attacks.  Once the dictionary attack is done (completely failed), they
move on.

One lesson to learn from this, though, is to NEVER allow name+password
based logins over the Internet.  If you open up port 22 to the world,
then make sure you restrict logins to SSH key only.  Most importantly:

PasswordAuthentication no

If a million monkeys can write the works of Shakespeare, then a million
compromised zombies can eventually crack all of your passwords, too!