Grub problems

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Sat May 9 11:32:52 MST 2009

After a long battle with technology, Mike Hoy wrote:
> Then one day he decided to delete the Linux partition
> from inside Windows (through disk management) and reformatted it. It was
> fine until he rebooted the laptop. Now grub throws an error and we can't get
> into windows.

Copy a DOS/XP/whatever boot sector over the MBR that GRUB installed.
FIXMBR.EXE (should be on most 'Doze install CDs) will do this, or if you're
really old-school, FDISK /MBR will do the same thing.  There's probably a
tool to do this on the Ultimate Boot CD as well.  GRUB is erroring out
because it can't find its stage 2, which was almost certainly on the Linux
partition.

--
   I realised I was dyslexic after attending a toga party dressed
   as a goat.  --Author unknown