Grub problems

Mike Hoy mhoy06 at gmail.com
Sat May 9 11:10:55 MST 2009

I'm working on a relative's computer. It was dual booting at one point.
Windows and Ubuntu. Then one day he decided to delete the Linux partition
from inside Windows (through disk management) and reformatted it. He did so
because he needed the hard drive space. It was fine until he rebooted the
laptop. Now grub throws an error and we can't get into windows.

Ultimately I'd like to get Ubuntu back on it, but for now we just need to
boot into windows again and use the data on the other partition.

Any suggestions for making grub work again? Or am I going about this the
wrong way?