Ubuntu Jaunty Update Pop-Under

Joseph Sinclair plug-discussion at stcaz.net
Fri May 8 14:43:15 MST 2009

Craig White wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-05-08 at 03:13 -0700, Joseph Sinclair wrote:
>> I noticed a very irritating "feature" of the new Ubuntu release, I'm posting about it here so nobody else is surprised by it.
>> Let me preface this with a warning, there is some practical information here, that's at the top; there's also a serious rant, at the bottom, because this design is just plain bad, and the Ubuntu DX devs seem completely unwilling to consider they might have done the complete wrong thing.
>>
>> Practical:
>>
>> In Ubuntu 9.04, update-notifier doesn't display an icon, it actually runs update-manager full-screen as a "pop-under".  It's easy to miss, and there's no way to make it NOT run (so on a laptop, for instance, where stupid useless no-change updates are pending, you'll get the blasted thing running every time you boot, and quite often multiple times in a session).
>> There is a "magic" command to make it stop and go back to how it used to run (which you may have to run regularly since some updates seem to overwrite it), but it must be run for every user who can run updates:
>> gconftool -s --type bool /apps/update-notifier/auto_launch false
>> Adding that to /etc/bash.bashrc seems to be a quick-and-dirty fix that restores it for every user, and resets it if it gets overwritten.
>> There's no guarantee this will work after the 9.10 update, but at least it works for now.
>>
>> Rant:
>>
>> I just finished reading the most INFURIATING (yes, I'm looking right at you, Ted, even your responses had an uncharacteristically arrogant tone to them, and most everyone else from Canonical had a tone so arrogant it made me sick) bug report I've ever seen in a Linux Distribution (I've seen plenty like this from Microsoft, I expect better from Linux).
>> It appears that the Ubuntu Desktop Experience (DX) team decided that for Jaunty, they would "clean up" the notification area by removing the update notification, not a bad thing by itself, although it's highly questionable that it even needed to be done.
>> The problem is that they decided that having an uncontrollable "pop-under" program was the "correct" approach to removing update-manager from the notification area!
>>
>> One would think that at least there'd be a simple config option "Pop-up frequently when updates available" that I could turn off, there isn't.
>> One would think it would be easy to disable the whole auto-update structure, it isn't.  I disabled checks for updates, but the blasted thing keeps popping up as long as apt-get is up-to-date.
>> One would think there would be more communication and choice for something this intrusive.
>> One would hope that at least the Canonical team, on getting hundreds of negative comments and dozens of separate bug reports in the beta period would revert the change until the user concerns could be addressed.
>> Unfortunately, none of these were done.

> [...]

I think you misunderstood the thrust of my rant, I probably wasn't as clear as I hoped.

1) This isn't a Gnome change, it's an Ubuntu change.  It affects KDE just as much as it affects Gnome.
2) I'm not complaining about the release of updates that don't update anything, although that's generally stupid anyway, it's that if I don't apply EVERY update I get constantly nagged by a blasted full-screen program about an update I don't want and may never apply.
4) UI changes may/may not upset people, if they do, then they should be thoughtfully re-evaluated.  The purpose of a UI is to make the users' lives easier, not upset them.
3 and 5) This isn't about agressive/experimental changes, it's about harming users without cause.  All releases have beta periods, and part of the purpose of a beta period, in addition to finding show-stopper bugs, is to get early feedback on UI changes.  In this case there was a TON of negative feedback during beta, a user-focused UI team SHOULD pull a feature when that happens and do more UI testing to determine how to address the users' concerns in a clear and effective manner.
The devs who made the change *ADMIT* that it's half-baked, not necessary, and probably disruptive without reason.  WHY would any sane dev team throw out a half-baked change that has a lot of negative feedback in beta?  There's no logical reason not to hold it back one release to finish the changes and address users' concerns.