OT: [sorta]; facebook seems to take pride in their "OSS" contributions [to "memcached"]

Alex Dean alex at crackpot.org
Tue May 5 16:28:18 MST 2009

On May 5, 2009, at 4:17 PM, Mike Schwartz wrote:

> [quote:]
> <<
> * We are the largest user in the world of memcached, an open-source
> caching system. Originally developed by LiveJournal, we've since
> made so many scalability improvements and performance upgrades that
> we will be the primary contributor of features in the next major
> release.
> >>
> The above quote is from the "Engineering @ Facebook" fan page, at http://www.facebook.com/FacebookEngineering
> ((look on the "Info" tab; it is the middle one of 3 "asterisk" ['*']
> bullet items))

That's not hype, if there was any doubt.  I don't use Facebook much as
an app, but their contributions to memcached are significant.

I used to be on the memcached developers mailing list, and guys from
Facebook were often the ones leading the discussion, submitting
patches, etc.  They were (as of a year or so ago) very active in
driving memcached forward.  When people had questions about 'how will
this work at large scales', it was often someone from Facebook who
would chime in with 'well, we did it this way on our x-million 128GB
cache servers' or some such.  This was both for hardware/architecture
questions, as well as development techniques in coding for a
distributed RAM cache.

alex