Linux in a Nutshell (O'Reilly book)

Alex Dean alex at crackpot.org
Tue May 5 07:38:39 MST 2009

On May 4, 2009, at 8:05 PM, Joshua Zeidner wrote:

> On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 8:03 PM, Alex Dean <alex at crackpot.org> wrote:
>>
>> On May 4, 2009, at 7:23 PM, Joshua Zeidner wrote:
>>
>>> In general, the
>>> print world is in crisis because their value proposal is quickly
>>> being
>>> invalidated.
>>
>> I don't think that's true.
>
>  yes, but don't you work for a newspaper?  ;)

No, I don't.  Newspapers are a totally different proposition than
technical books, anyway.

I've read the rest of this thread since my initial reply, and you've
failed to answer my question.  So, to repeat : How can you feel
justified making such categorical dismissals of people who find
published technical books valuable?  Your inital reply was along the
lines of "O'Reilly = lame", about a specific publishing house.  When
people disagreed, and asked you to support that assertion, you
transformed this into a diatribe about the economics and ecology of
the entire publishing industry.

I understand that a conversation can develop and change as topics get
explored and other voices get involved, but I'd still like to know if
you have an answer to my question, or if you were just blatantly
trolling?

I think you make some valid points, but the dismissive holier-than-
thou attitude really rubs me the wrong way.  I get the feeling you
enjoy being at the center of a manufactured controversy, and that is
the definition of troll.

alex