OT: Linux in a Nutshell (O'Reilly book)

A. W. Wright diamondmagic at users.sourceforge.net
Mon May 4 22:28:53 MST 2009

(Since we are top-posting)

In your opinion! I am more then happy to pay my $10 for 1/500th of a
tree planted and harvested and processed by private companies on their
own private property, or resources that would have been cut down and
gone unused otherwise. We don't cut down rainforests for paper
(rainforests are really only cut down for clearing land). <sarcasm>I
mean, /everyone/ knows trees are /not/ renewable resources.</sarcasm>
Companies have hundreds of thousands of acres of land just for trees, in
New England where I lived, the land would be leased for tapping maple
syrup among other things. What about the alternative? If people don't
buy books, what would they be doing instead that might possibly be more
harmful? I don't suppose anyone considered how many more times E-waste
uses, and how harmful it is? Or some other activity other then
reading/computing altogether?

I happen to own (one) O'Reilly book (Firefox Hacks) and found it very
useful. Fact is online references just can't replace printed
instructional materials. For instance the book Man, Economy, and State,
great publication available online at http://mises.org/rothbard/mes.asp
and PDF with a cc-by license. I purchaced the book anyways, because the
additional value I get from the printed version justifies the cost, for me.

While we are on the subject of copyright, http://mises.org/story/2632 .
Tagging OT. I often wonder which industries would be more or less
successful without IP laws, and how the economy has evolved around it
and been distorted by it. Perhaps the movie theater industry would exist
(because contract law would still protect movies) but DVDs, which are
the bulk of the profits, would be very different. Patents would no
longer be a concern, since especially nowadays the cost of not
innovating at all is still lower then the cost of innovating without a
patent and the associated monopoly (or would be offset by the increased
ability to use innovations you were previously not able to legally).
Trademarks would still exist in some sense, since you wouldn't be able
to claim it is a genuine X brand product (that would be fraud since you
are not getting the product you were promised).

Austin Wright.