Linux in a Nutshell (O'Reilly book)

Alan Dayley alandd at consultpros.com
Mon May 4 19:28:15 MST 2009

I don't understand the negativity around dead tree media.  It has many
advantages, including ultimate portability and no dead batteries.  I
currently have multiple O'Reilly books above my computer here, all of
which I have actually used, some more than others.  My Linux Pocket
Guide is an excellent reference.  There's just something about having
three fingers between different sections of a book and flipping
between them while learning!

O'Reilly, as a company, has provided excellent support for
Linux/FS/OSS with books and conferences and direct support for PLUG.
Sure, it made good business sense for them to do it or they probably
wouldn't but, that's OK because we both win.  O'Reilly is supporting
new avenues of knowledge spreading with efforts like Ignite events
(http://www.ignitephoenix.com)

While I believe printed books will be come less and less important, I
hope they don't go away completely.  And I have learned something from
every O'Reilly book I own.  That they have a book named "favorite
Linux book of all time" is another bonus to them.

Alan